***For Immediate Release ***
December 14, 2020
Children’s Defense Fund-Ohio Alison Paxson, Policy & Communications Associate
Today, the Ohio Children’s Budget Coalition (OCBC) released seven child-focused policy briefs setting forth key recommendations for Governor Mike DeWine and his administration to consider in the 2022-2023 budget biennium. Ohio Advocates for “Whole Child” Budget Agenda Release Policy Briefs Urging DeWine Administration for Investments in Child Health and Wellness, Education, and Economic Stability for Working Families
The Ohio Children’s Budget Coalition is a partnership of over eighteen statewide advocacy organizations committed to the health and well-being of children, working together to advocate for a fair and just children’s agenda that addresses the needs of the “whole child” in the state budget.
“While children make up 22% of Ohio’s population, they represent 100% of Ohio’s future,” says says coalition member, Children’s Defense Fund-Ohio’s executive director, Tracy Nájera. “As a coalition, we recognize that investing in a “whole child” budget agenda is critical for Ohio’s continued success. It is critical that we do right by Ohio children in the upcoming state budget.”
The Coalition released six initial policy briefs, with more to come in the following weeks. Those released today cover a variety of topics critical to “whole child” well-being and were authored by different coalition member organizations:
- Issue: Maternal and Infant Health, Children’s Defense Fund-Ohio
- Issue: Expand Summer Food Access for Children, Children’s Hunger Alliance
- Issue: Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Policy Matters Ohio
- Issue: Child Lead Exposure Prevention, Ohio Lead Free Kids Coalition
- Issue: Expand Access to Quality Child Care & Preschool, Groundwork Ohio and Policy Matters Ohio
- Issue: Ohio School Funding, Ohio Education Association
- Issue: Broadband Internet and Bridging Ohio’s Digital Divide, Children’s Defense Fund-Ohio
For more information, please visit www.ohiochildrensbudget.org.
Ohio Children’s Budget Coalition (OCBC) was established in 2018 and is committed to prioritizing the needs of children in Ohio’s state policy and budget decisions. This unprecedented statewide partnership is comprised of over 18 organizations, listed on the Ohio Children’s Budget website.
Download press release here.